Monday, November 07, 2005

Dinner Bell - Dixie House Cafe

Time for a restaurant review:

Dixie House Cafe
6100 E. Lancaster Avenue
Fort Worth, TX 76110

As a kid, no matter where we were, my Dad could always find the best cafe in town. You know the type. Where the waitress brings you a glass of ice tea before you even order and calls you "honey" and you don't think anything about it. I dropped in to the Dixie House Cafe in east Fort Worth recently. I wanted it to be the kind of cafe I remembered as a kid. I wanted to like it. I wanted to be able to rave about the place. But I just can't.

I entered the east side version of the locally-owned cafe chain feeling good, after all there was a sizable number of pickup trucks in the parking lot. I ordered the ham and cheese omelet, with toast, and a coffee. The food arrived more or less promptly, and more or less hot. But overall, the food was only average. I've had better at Denny's with much better service. Something about the way the waitress set the food down told me that she was done waiting on me that morning (and she didn't even call me, "honey"). I'm sorry, I happen to like more than one cup of coffee with my breakfast, and I don't like to chase the waitstaff down to get it. I wanted to like it, I wanted it to be great, but I just can't recommend it. The food is okay, but if you go for breakfast, pack a thermos of coffee to take with you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home